Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The Highest Place - by Monte Edwards

GOD SIGHTING

We were six hours into our second day, working our way up through the alpine country to the top of Wonder Pass in the Assiniboine Provincial Park, Canada. The previous 10 miles had been a glorious experience in suffering. From our morning camp, in the thick air of a tree lined lake, we moved upward through long canyons and steep ravines. Since my backpack had not yet found a comfortable position, the frequent jostling of my shoulder straps helped diminish the growing stiffness in my shoulders. I could feel in my legs the 2500 vertical feet we had climbed – a dull ache burned my quads as we worked our way up the last 800 feet on to the top of the ridge.
The trail is not as steep as before, the miles of steady switchbacks have given way an easier grade that meanders upward to where a line separates the sky from the earth. The terrain is open now; we lost the last few trees, coming up over a lower ridge, about an hour ago. The overwhelming beauty of this country touches my soul like nothing else in my life. It is a simple feeling of joy that elevates my spirit to a simple, easy place

My throttle is nearly wide open as I fight the pull of gravity and the thinning air. With the hypnotic rhythm of boots striking earth, I negotiate the steadily rising trail. Smooth, full, draws of air fill my lungs only to be expelled, a couple of seconds later, with a rhythmic, whooshing release through parsed lips.  My hard exertion is offset by a quiet mind that produces a balance so intoxicating that its pursuit motivates most of my great adventures. 

The final steps to the top of the ridge are greeted by a magnificent view of the Assiniboine Plateau, a thousand feet below. Stretching out miles before us is a classic sub alpine wilderness ringed with mountains from the golden heart of the Canadian Rockies. All my imaginations of Heaven have the same resemblance of glory.  A scattering blanket of altostratus clouds framed the top half of the vista.

My pack makes a thud as I dropped it to the ground. In that moment I could fly – the sudden release of weight makes my body happy – a soothing 55 degree breeze, sweeping in from the east, blows right through me. My body rejoiced in its lovely caress – I open my jackets’ pit zippers, raise my hands to the sky and soar in a gentle arch through the valley below.

And of friendship and shared adventure - in the company of my kindred spirits – a band of four, eager to face the challenges of the wild places . My boy is there    Bryan, 22 yrs. We’ve been all over the place together, Argentina, Alaska, Africa – I trust him to take care of me if I go down. Jim is my best buddy. Our resume of adventures goes back almost 25 years now - big mule deer in Eastern Oregon, snowboarding in Whistler, mountain climbing and more backpacking trips then I can count. My good old friend from high school, Clark is there too. Our adventures in Alaska forged my great affection for the wild places. We lost touch for a few years but found a renewed friendship in middle age.

I trade high fives and exclamations of delight with my guys. We rejoice together in our great privilege to stand – for a moment, in such a place. Our shared experiences of friendship and adventure forge a bond greatly cherished – that lays a cornerstone to my life.

My mind races to the Creator – at times like these I always consider his influence. In easy prayer, I release myself; eager to know He is there. Like the pleasant cooling breeze the Spirit dances- through me, around me, rejoicing in the creation of such a magnificent thing. Happy for a moment to share His presence with me, unfettered by the cares of a cluttered mind– for a moment to consider the nature of all things -eyes renewed by the touch of God and the purity of an honest day’s work in the high country.

Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in a while, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.  John Muir

No comments:

Post a Comment