Friday, December 30, 2011

God Sighting – by Monte Edwards

A routine outing to Fred Meyers found my12 year old daughter and I scanning through the school supplies isle. Lindsey had a vision for some nice mechanical pencils for her math class. She, like me, has a fond affection for a well-balanced writing implement and was willing to spend her own allowance to buy a couple. We discussed the pro and cons of the various types until she decided on a nice set of three. One final check of the math assured us she would have a few dollars left over.

I waited for a moment as she went through the fast pay isle. As I turned right to walk up the length the store back to my truck, Lindsey veered off to the left.
“Hey where ya goin? The truck is this way?”

“I know Daddy…  I’ll be right back”

I watched as she walked over to the front door and stuffed her change into Salvation Army Christmas Kettle. Her pony tail flipped in a circle as she skipped back and took my hand – her eyes greeted me with the light of the Son.
A churn of emotion tightened my throat her I embraced her and kissed her on the forehead.  I slung my arm around her shoulder and pulled her close as we walked.

I’m not sure I have ever seen anything so perfect before. The simple beauty of a spontaneous act of generosity performed with the perfect motives of compassion reveals the very face of God. Not the beauty of a high mountain lake, nor the majesty of mighty cathedral, nor the sweetest song of praise reveals God more clearly to me.

I will hide this one away… I’m my secret place… The place I keep all the things that make me who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment